Freedom

I remember each step on the road. 
It was such a hard journey
To bring myself to the realization 
I could not navigate the road alone. 
I had to read the stars, accept the food, shelter, hidden away. 
Ashamed of my situation and knowing I had no control over who I am. 
Each step brought me deeper into unknown territory. 
Were they following me?  Who are their spies? 
Would they capture me, kill my soul again and again. 
Stripping my dignity away?  Would I make it?
It seems the road to freedom should not be so hard bought. 
Should not come with such fear and anxiety on the wings of uncertainty. 
Yet looking back over all the roads and paths have made me stronger. 
I know that death is not the finally victory, but another kind of being set free. 
I know that people's words meant to provoke control don't hurt and are born out of their own fear of a glimpse of how to live free. 
This glimpse of free person killed our savior, so why would we think others should not fear the glimpse. 
Especially if they have not walked that road to freedom. 

Comments