Coming Again

If Jesus comes again I think it would be to Africa
He would be the deepest, richest, most beautiful chocolate
Because we wouldn't expect Jesus to be other than us
Because when I think of the conflict he was born into
Or the humbleness of the stable, I think of Africa

If Jesus came again I think she would be a woman
She would be the most common looking woman
With beauty from within, because we wouldn't expect
Jesus to be a woman, to endure all the shame and violation
Because our voices are still not respected or listened to

If Jesus comes again I think it will be as a homeless person
Jesus would have nothing, expect nothing and return
Contempt with love, it would be the unexpected place
Because when I think of how Jesus traveled, dependent
On hospitality of others who would welcome a stranger

When Jesus comes I think we will not recognize who
We are encountering, because we all need to understand
The gospel message that Jesus was not recognized by
The religious leaders, but by the common, everyday person
Jesus is always in the least expected person, watch

Comments