Altered

I come to the altar to rest, for prayer, for guidance.
I come to the altar with my own concerns, my own prayers, my own thoughts. 
I come to the altar and I find surrender, shelter and yet
As I come to the altar I find myself stripped away, insignificant. 
I come to the altar stirred and torn about by deep winds flowing. 
I come to the altar and instead of laying all my concerns open, I am changed. 
I leave the altar not fully finding peace and rest, not leaving any of my preconceived prayers. 
I leave the altar far more disturbed than when I came. 
I leave the altar with more than a prayer, or song, or burden lifted. 
I leave the altar with the weight of God's love for so much. 
I leave the altar with deeply, uncomfortably being known. 
I leave the altar broken open to Divine Grace. 


Comments